- This article is about the protagonist in Dōbutsu no Mori. For the lazy gorilla villager, see Al.
Ai (あい) is the main protagonist in Geijōban Dōbutsu no Mori. She is based off the player from the Animal Crossing series. When she moves to Animal Village, she is hired by Tom Nook. Tom Nook quickly puts her to work by asking her to run errands for him. During the course of running Tom Nook's errands, Ai befriends many villagers such as Whitney, Rosie, and Margie. She soon encounters and befriends a young boy named Yū.
Ai has ruby colored high pigtails and large mauve eyes with small black eyelashes. Ai initially wears the Blossom Dress with blue and white striped stockings and red shoes which have a heart-shaped design. Unlike the Player character from the series leading up to City Folk, whose nose was typically a small red triangle, both she and Yū have a more natural kind of nose commonly seen in anime.
Role in the movie
In Dōbutsu no Mori, she is the main protagonist. During the movie, she meets the Animal Village community and adapts to the new life, many of the tasks and interactions coming from Wild World.
- In Japanese and Chinese, "ai" means "love".
- When Ai and Yu's names in Japanese are put together, it means "friendship" (友愛/友爱).
- Ai and Yu's names may also be a pun on "I" and "you".
- At the beginning of the movie, Ai's suitcase was carried by hand. Later, it was seen rolling on wheels.
- Ai's voice actress is Yui Horie, who is known for her various voice works in video games and anime, as well as being a popular singer in Japan.
- Ai lacks the triangular nose that the player character usually has.
- Yui Horie, Ai's voice actress also voiced Minori Kushieda from Toradora!, Kouko Kaga from Golden Time and Eri Sawachika from School Rumble.
- It's possible for players to recreate Ai in-games, most notably: City Folk, New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, and New Horizons.
- Ai states that she likes the rain when Kapp'n talks about the rain. This is the only one of Kappn's questions answered by her, but to have a character with her starting shirt in-game, the player must agree that rain is bad.