|This page is currently under construction. Please help us expand this article byit.|
“They reflect this sullied world, yet retain their own beauty... I am bewitched by those compound eyes.”
― Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Flick (レックス, Rekkusu?, Rex) is a special visitor introduced in New Horizons. Flick is a bug enthusiast who replaces Nat as the host of the Bug Off, but also occasionally visits the Deserted Island outside of the competition to collect specimens.
Flick is a red chameleon. He has three yellow horns in total, two on his head and one on the tip of his nose. His eyes are lidded and colored purple, and he has a curled tail with three stripes on it.
Flick's outfit consists of black leather vest, over a t-shirt with a ladybug on it. On the back of his vest is an emblem with a net crossed over a fishing rod, which is the same emblem as the one on his partner and roommate, C.J.'s hat. He has red-and-black plaid pants and wears black boots. He has two ringed piercings in one of his back spikes, and wears a choker with a golden tag. Flick carries a black net with him that is adorned with pointy, metallic studs.
In New Horizons
During Bug Offs (which happen in the months of June, July, August, and September) or on random visits, Flick will buy bugs from the player for 150% of their usual value. The player can also commission Flick to make a model of a specific bug by bringing him three of the same bug, though he will not take art commissions on bug-off days. Flick will only work on one commission at a time per player, and will mail it to the player the next day.
When Flick visits the Deserted Island outside of a Bug Off, Flick will remain the full day, from 5am to 5am. If there is an upcoming bug-off when Flick visits, he will have special dialog reminding the player that he will be hosting a bug-off in the plaza soon.
All of the bug models that can be commissioned from Flick are shown in the table below.
“Am I truly listening to the needs of the <bug> with every ear I possess?”
“If a <bug> were to manifest before me, how would I react? Laughter? Weeping?”
“If you find yourself where there are no bugs...you have to visualize and manifest them yourself!”
“Close your eyes. Reach with your mind. Feel the bugs. Feel them crawling all over your skin. Dissolve.”
“It doesn't matter how much I treasure the bugs. They'll never notice what I do for them...”
“It is sheer hubris to think that we could ever learn everything about bugs.”
“Bugs are an experience. They are a conversation...one between the viewer and the universe.”
“Larva, pupa, adulthood, final transcendence... They become more exalted with every metamorphosis!”
“They reflect this sullied world, yet retain their own beauty... I am bewitched by those compound eyes”
“My world was once gray and dull. Then they brought their riotous jointed rainbows of wonder!”
“When the universe contemplates beauty, it imagines the silhouette of the <bug>.”
“Will this world meet its reckoning, beheld only by the lonely eyes of the <bug>?”
“I divide myself into the three sacred segments. I am the head, thorax and abdomen of the universe.”
During a Bug-Off:
“Hey, how was it? Did you make progress on your personal journey towards True Infestation?”
“What - really?! You don't need them as spiritual guides? I mean - let me just add it up for you.”
“Alright, get ready to transcend...”
“Once you save up 10 points, you can redeem them for bug-blessed relics I've obtained. Good luck!”
“The epic tale of my pilgrimage to obtain these relics should be written on a scroll or something!”
“How did you enjoy this Bug-Off, our regular celebration of bugs? Were you spiritually enriched?”
Flick was added to Pocket Camp in November 2020. He hosts the Flick's Segmented Soulmates event, where he tasks the player with catching bugs to receive bug-themed prizes.
- Flick's name might be a reference to the protagonist of the 1998 Disney/Pixar movie "A Bug's Life" named Flik.
- Flick and C.J. both share the same emblem; Flick's on the back of his jacket, and C.J.'s is on his cap.
- In the Japanese version, C.J. mentions that Flick doesn't get along with the rest of his family, especially his father; while they both love bugs, Flick's dad likes to eat them, implying that he may be Nat from the previous games.
- Nat is further implied to be Flick's father in C.J.'s dialogue, in which the latter states their families have known each other for a long time, which may also reference Chip as C.J.'s father.
- In localization, both his and C.J.'s dialogue mention each other as partners.
- In the English localization, upon first asking for a fish commission, C.J. will mention that his partner normally does art of bugs instead of fish. After asking for a second commission, C.J. will confirm that this hinted-at partner is Flick. After the third, he'll drop that he and Flick are roommates and partners.
- The New Horizons companion guide expands upon this, explaining that C.J. and Flick are roommates and 'business partners'.
- While it has not been confirmed, Flick's appearance does resemble that of a Jackson's chameleon. The males of this species share the trait of having three horns adorning their heads.
- The official render of Flick as shown at the top of this article depicts him holding a horned hercules.
In other languages