“Your enemy is the old you! The new you will get a bit faster every day until you're the best around!”
― Inkwell, New Leaf
Inkwell (スミダクン, Sumidakun?) is a jock octopus villager from the Animal Crossing series, introduced in the Welcome amiibo update. Inkwell is a villager who will appear in the campground when a certain Splatoon amiibo is scanned in the game. As it seems, he is a big fan of Splatoon.
Along with other RV-exclusive villagers, Inkwell can't be invited to the town if their own house is still present in the town. Once they have packed boxes and left, they may be "adopted" again.
Inkwell is a stylized octopus villager referencing the game Splatoon. Inkwell is a uniformly orange octopus with closely set white eyes, outlined in a thick black line like the characters of the game he's referencing. His appearance is based on that of the squid and octopus forms of Inklings and Octolings respectively. He starts off wearing the black anchor tee.
|Below is a brief description of the jock personality. For more information, click here.|
Inkwell has a jock personality and has a great interest in sports and bodybuilding. Jock villagers are hyperactive and motivated, but often come across as self-centered and dense. As a jock villager, Inkwell is very interested in his hobby, and may compete against the player at catching bugs and fish. Jock villagers get along with peppy, cranky and sisterly villagers, but conflict with the laid-back lifestyle of lazy villagers. Snooty villagers may also be difficult to get along with for Inkwell.
|New Leaf (interior)||New Leaf (exterior)|
Inkwell doesn't have an amiibo card, however he can be scanned into New Leaf by talking to Wisp and scanning in the Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl, or Inkling Squid amiibo from the Splatoon series, or the Super Smash Bros. Inkling amiibo. However, he and the other amiibo exclusive villagers are absent from New Horizons.
- Inkwell is a reference to the Inklings' squid forms from Splatoon. He is one of three villagers that pays homage to the other franchise's characters, the others beings Cece and Viché.
- Alongside Cece and Viché, he is the only villager designed after a character from another Nintendo franchise that is not directly named after said character.
- Different meanings can be found in Inkwell's names across the different translations.
- Inkwell's English name is the word for a small jar or container used for holding ink in a place convenient for a person writing with a quill or nib pen. The "well" half of the compound word also makes the name comparable to the names Maxwell and Orwell.
- His Japanese name, Sumidakun (スミダクン), is the surname Sumida (隅田 or 住田) with the -kun honorific. This doubles as a pun on the word sumi (墨), meaning "ink".
- His French name, Pigmento, comes from the word pigment.
- His German name, Klecks, is the word for "blot" or "stain".
- His Spanish name, Tintelio, is a portmanteau of tinta "ink," and Emilio or a similar given name.
- His Italian name, Polpotto, is a portmanteau of polpo "octopus," and otto "eight." It could also be loosely translated as "little octopus."
- His Korean name, Meongmuri (멍무리), is a compound of meong (멍 "bruise"), and muri (무리), meaning either "crowd; gang; group", or "circle; halo; ring".
- He shares his birthday with Lucy. They both have a birthday on June 2nd.
- He is the only octopus to have been removed from the villager roster, as he is absent from New Horizons.
In other languages