Isabelle (しずえ, Shizue) is a major character from Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
Isabelle made her debut in Animal Crossing: New Leaf as the Mayor's eager, although sometimes scatterbrained secretary. Slightly naïve but nonetheless hardworking, Isabelle tries to do anything to please the mayor. Her duties as the mayor's secretary involve aiding the player in signing ordinances into law, making preparations for public works projects, and officiating various ceremonies. On numerous holidays throughout the year she appears in the town plaza, giving out themed items to players who speak with her.
Following her debut, Isabelle quickly became the primary poster child for the Animal Crossing series, with promotional material featuring her far more prominently than other major characters such as Tom Nook.
In Super Smash Bros. 4
Isabelle appears in several major roles.
As an Assist Trophy
Isabelle stays in place, tossing healing fruit to the player who summoned her. While it is possible for opponents to intercept the fruit, only the summoner has the advantage of only having to touch the fruit to heal; opponents will have to actively grab them with the shield or attack buttons.
While Isabelle cannot be attacked, she will flinch if opponents get close.
If the summoner is KO'd while she is still out, she will hunch over with a dismayed expression until the player returns. Conversely, she will cheer if her summoner scores a KO.
In Smash Tour
Isabelle appears as an item in Smash Tour: when selected, all stat boosting items near the player grow to their maximum size.
As a costume
A Mii Gunner dressed as Isabelle.
Isabelle is the basis for a paid DLC costume for Mii Gunners. Instead of a gun, Mii Fighters wearing the Isabelle costume use a party cone to attack.
Isabelle's standard trophy can be obtained in both versions of Super Smash Bros. 4, and in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U it is part of the Animal Crossing: New Leaf Trophy Box. The variation in her sweater outfit is only available in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
- Isabelle is the mayor's highly capable secretary. She can be forgetful sometimes, but you can always count on her for information about the town. She wears her hair up in a bun that makes her look like a shih tzu. Mostly because she is one! She also has a twin brother named Digby.
- Isabelle's the mayor's secretary, and you couldn't ask for someone more on the ball! Well...maybe you could, but she's still full of useful info about life in the town. With her fringe and tied-up hair, she looks just like a shih-tzu! That's because she is one. And so is her twin brother, Digby.
- : Animal Crossing: New Leaf (06/2013)
- Isabelle (Sweater)
- The green check she wears in warmer months suits her perfectly, but when the cold hits, her mustard-yellow cardigan is just too stylish for words. It may make you long for the spring months, though. Hot or cold—nothing makes Isabelle feel under the weather!
- The green chequered vest she wears in warmer months suits her to a T, but when the cold hits, her mustard-yellow cardie is just too stylish for words. That said, it might make you long for spring and all its vibrant beauty! Of course, Isabelle doesn't mind. Hot or cold, she's always a ray of sunshine!
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
As a playable character
Isabelle was announced to appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable character on September 13th, 2018 during the Nintendo Direct, along with the new Animal Crossing game being announced. Her moveset in general shares many moves with Villager, though she is not categorized as an Echo Fighter, and is instead a semi-clone.
- Isabelle is the fourth summonable character to become playable in a later installment. The first was Charizard, the second was Little Mac, and the third was Dark Samus.
- Like Little Mac and Dark Samus, she was an Assist Trophy prior to gaining this distinction.
- Isabelle, Olimar, Mega Man and Pac-Man are the only characters who are mute in the Super Smash Bros. series despite having voices in their respective home series.
- With her debut on November 2012, Isabelle is the newest Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. 4.
- The pear is the only fruit she throws that does not appear in her trophy in Super Smash Bros. 4.
- Isabelle and Villager are the only playable characters in the Super Smash Bros. series whose Japanese names are written entirely in hiragana, as opposed to katakana.
- Isabelle is the first fully non-human playable character to strictly be female in Super Smash Bros. (Palutena fully resembles a human, Samus, Dark Samus and Corrin are part human, Jigglypuff and Ivysaur are referred to with gender-neutral pronouns in media and in-game, Wendy is part of Bowser Jr.'s alternate costume and Inkling's gender varies depending on the alternate costume).