"Nothing shredded, nothing gained."
|Species||Dog (Jack Russell)|
None at all,
None at all
|Appearances||AF, AF+, AC, AFe+, WW, CF, NL, HHD, PC , Dōbutsu no Mori|
|Regional names|| Kéké Laglisse |
“Those industry fat cats try to put a price on my music, but it wants to be free.”K.K. Slider (とたけけ, Totakeke?), commonly known as K.K., or DJ K.K. is a dog who appears in all of the Animal Crossing series games to date. He works as a musician, playing songs on his guitar. In Animal Crossing, he could be found near the train station; Wild World and City Folk had him playing in The Roost café; whereas New Leaf saw him move to working in Club LOL. His birthday was revealed in Animal Crossing Plaza. Like other special characters that appear in the Animal Crossing series, he does not celebrate it.
― K.K. Slider, Wild World
K.K. Slider is a hippie-style traveling musician, which is reflected in his mellow speech towards the player. He comes across as someone who wants to be liberated, as shown by his rebellion against putting a price on his songs. This adds to the musician stereotype of going against a particular norm. Despite that, his songs are for sale in New Leaf for 3,200 (3,600 with the bell boom ordinance) bells when Timmy and Tommy upgraded to T.I.Y.
In Animal Forest and Animal Crossing
In Animal Forest and Animal Crossing, K.K. Slider is seen sitting on the stool close to the Train Station found from 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM on Saturday. He still has the same role, to request or ask a song or for him to choose. He is also seen when the games are started and booted up.
In Wild World
In Wild World, K.K. now plays his music at The Roost on Saturday evenings, from 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM. The player may request a song, otherwise K.K. will sing a randomly selected song. After the performance, the player receives a free copy of the song that was played. The copy of the song can then be deposited and used in any stereo in the player's house. He is also involved in the Golden Axe Trading Event, where he trades the player his picture when given the country guitar (which is received from Wendell).
In City Folk
“Hey, man. Who hipped you to that tune, June? Stale Cupcakes is one of my secret numbers.”
― K.K. Slider, when requested to play Stale Cupcakes, City Folk
K.K. has a similar role in City Folk as he does in previous games. Now, he gives encores of his music. However, the encores are not added to the dock of the player. As in Wild World, he is seen in The Roost on Saturday nights, from 8:00 PM. to midnight. If the player decides to request a song, they are required to type it in. The player can also choose a song by mood or let him pick a random song. The game credits play while he plays a song.
In New Leaf
In New Leaf, K.K. appears on stage on Saturday nights after 8:00 pm inside Club LOL, owned by Dr. Shrunk. From Sunday to Friday, he takes on the guise of DJ K.K., performing a variety of different songs based on themes. On the first performance as K.K. Slider, he will randomly pick one of the new songs introduced in New Leaf. Afterwards, the player is allowed to request a song by specific title or mood. Players will get the first song he plays, but not the rest, unless they do not have enough space in their pockets, in which case the player will receive a song as soon as they have made space in their pockets and requested another song. And on your birthday or the Saturday before your birthday, if you request K.K. Birthday, K.K. Slider will play it for you. If you request K.K. Birthday any other time, he will not play it for you. The credits play as he plays a song.
His songs now come with unique album covers. These album covers now make it possible to hang copies of his songs on the walls.
K.K. Slider's Pic is obtainable. If the player listens to a K.K. show for 20 weeks consecutively, the picture is received in the mail.
In Pocket Camp
In Dōbutsu no Mori (film)
In Super Smash Bros. Melee
K.K. Slider makes a cameo in Super Smash Bros. Melee appearing as a trophy as well as being one of the special characters and appearing in a screenshot in the stages.
"A wandering musician whose daily life is a bit of a mystery. He plays in front of the train station every Saturday night starting at 8:00 PM. He has a large repertoire and plays old and new hits from all over the world. His music is so ingrained in the villagers that it's impossible to imagine them living without it."
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
K.K. Slider makes again a cameo in Super Smash Bros. Brawl appearing as a trophy as well as being one of the special characters and appearing in a screenshot in the stages.
"A wandering musician. He plays concerts every Saturday night at the Roost in the basement of the museum. All he carries is a single acoustic guitar, but he can play music from all genres. You can request a single tune per concert, and afterward he will give you a recording of the song to take home. In Wild World, his playlist included 70 songs."
In Mario Kart 8
K.K., along with other characters, appears in Mario Kart 8 in the Animal Crossing race course of the Crossing Cup, included with the Animal Crossing × Mario Kart 8 downloadable content package. He sits in different predetermined spots on the course depending on the season; in addition, he performs a song when the player drives close to him, each corresponding with a specific mood:
- In the spring season he will be across from the museum, and will perform Bubblegum K.K. ("good" mood);
- In the summer season he will be poised atop a cliff adjacent to the beach, and will perform Go K.K. Rider ("grumpy" mood);
- In the autumn season he will be sitting right near the starting lines, and will perform K.K. Bossa ("lazy" mood);
- In the winter season he will be sitting on the steps to Brewster's The Roost, and will perform Stale Cupcakes ("a little sad" mood).
He also appears in the Switch version of the game, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, this time included in the base game instead of with paid DLC.
- In Animal Crossing, K.K. does in fact say his name is Totakeke, but prefers to just be known as K.K. Slider. He has not mentioned this in subsequent English releases, however.
- K.K. is based on an Animal Crossing sound designer, Kazumi Totaka. In Japanese culture, the family name is said before the personal name; his name therefore is said Totaka Kazumi in Japanese. That can be shortened to "Totaka K.," which sounds like "Totakeke."
- In Animal Crossing, K.K. will appear in a spot-lighted room if a memory card has not been inserted or if the game's clock needs to be reset.
- One of K.K. Slider's songs is actually a song called Totaka's song, made by the Animal Crossing sound designer. The song appears in a lot of games he has worked on. In the Animal Crossing games, Totaka's song is referred to as K.K. Song.
- He appears alongside Rosie and Tom Nook in the 2010 Nintendo Collector's Edition of Monopoly.
- When talking to a player, he will change his rhymes and phrases depending on the gender(for example: to a boy, "My axe is hot to play, so cop a seat, Pete." to a girl, " My axe is hot to play, so cop a chair, Claire."). Pete and Claire are the names of two of the male and female protagonists from Harvest Moon, a life simulation video game series that is sometimes compared to Animal Crossing.
- According to the K.K. Slider amiibo page, near the end of the info passage, it reveals that Isabelle has a crush on him, and joking by giving a 'Nobody could blame her, right?' type at the end of the passage.
|Spanish||Totakeke (Same as the Japanese name)|
|Chinese||托塔可可 (Tuō tǎ kěkě)|