“Those industry fat cats try to put a price on my music, but it wants to be free.”
― K.K. Slider, Wild World
K.K. Slider (とたけけ, Totakeke?), commonly known as K.K., or DJ K.K. is a dog who appears in all of the Animal Crossing series games to date. He works as a musician, playing songs on his guitar. In Animal Crossing, he could be found near the train station; Wild World and City Folk had him playing in The Roost café; whereas New Leaf saw him move to working in Club LOL. His birthday was revealed in Animal Crossing Plaza. Like other special characters that appear in the Animal Crossing series, he doesn't celebrate it.
K.K. Slider is a hippie-style traveling musician, which is reflected in his mellow speech towards the player. He comes across as someone who wants to be liberated, as shown by his rebellion against putting a price on his songs. This adds to the musician stereotype of going against a particular norm. Despite that, his songs are for sale in New Leaf for 3,200 (3,600 with the bell boom ordinance) bells when the player upgrades to T.I.Y.
In Animal Forest and Animal Crossing
In Animal Forest and Animal Crossing, K.K. Slider is seen sitting on the stool close to the Train Station found from 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM on Saturday. He still has the same role, to request or ask a song or for him to choose. He is also seen when the games are started and booted up. As he plays his song, the credits will roll as the camera slowly moves around the player and K.K. Each 'rain' for the seasons (cherry blossoms, rain, snow, etc) will fall in order as the song plays.
- If the player requests a song that is not one of his (or is misspelled), he will play a random song, then tell the player that the song they requested "wasn't one of his"
- If the player requests one of his songs or lets him choose, he will give them a copy of it to play at their home.
K.K. has 3 "secret" songs in Animal Crossing: 'I Love You' 'Two Days Ago' and 'K.K. Song'. When requested, he will act surprised that the player knows it.
In Wild World
In Wild World, K.K. now plays his music at The Roost on Saturday evenings, from 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM. The player may request a song, otherwise K.K. will sing a randomly selected song. After the performance, the player receives a free copy of the song that was played. The copy of the song can then be deposited and used in any stereo in the player's house. He is also involved in the Golden Axe Trading Event, where he trades the player his picture when given the country guitar (which is received from Wendell).
In City Folk
“Hey, man. Who hipped you to that tune, June? Stale Cupcakes is one of my secret numbers.”
― K.K. Slider, when requested to play Stale Cupcakes, City Folk
K.K. has a similar role in City Folk as he does in previous games. Now, he gives encores of his music. However, the encores are not added to the dock of the player. As in Wild World, he is seen in The Roost on Saturday nights, from 8:00 PM. to midnight. If the player decides to request a song, they are required to type it in. The player can also choose a song by mood or let him pick a random song. The game credits play while he plays a song.
In New Leaf
In New Leaf, K.K. appears on stage on Saturday nights after 8:00 pm inside Club LOL, owned by Dr. Shrunk. From Sunday to Friday, he takes on the guise of DJ K.K., performing a variety of different songs based on themes. On the first performance as K.K. Slider, he will randomly pick one of the new songs introduced in New Leaf. Afterwards, the player is allowed to request a song by specific title or mood. Players will get the first song he plays, but not the rest, unless they do not have enough space in their pockets, in which case the player will receive a song as soon as they have made space in their pockets and requested another song. And on your birthday or the Saturday before your birthday, if you request K.K. Birthday, K.K. Slider will play it for you. If you request K.K. Birthday any other time, he will not play it for you. The credits play as he plays a song.
His songs now come with unique album covers. These album covers now make it possible to hang copies of his songs on the walls.
K.K. Slider's Pic is obtainable. If the player listens to a K.K. show for 20 weeks consecutively, the picture is received in the mail.
In amiibo Festival
K.K Slider is a playable character in amiibo Festival, available when the K.K Slider amiibo is scanned on the Wii U. Sometimes when the player playing as K.K Slider lands on an event square in the Amiibo Festival Board Game mode, a random event specifically related to K.K Slider may appear.
Cyrus has 6 unlockable costumes for the game, unlocked through leveling up the Cyrus amiibo:
- Carrying guitar case (Level 1)
- DJ KK (Level 2)
- Dark blue and white-striped sweatshirt (Level 3)
- Blue shirt with black pants (Level 4)
- Gray formalwear (Level 5)
- Conductor suit (Level 6)
In Pocket Camp
In Dōbutsu no Mori (film)
In New Horizons
In New Horizons, K.K. briefly shows up at the beginning of the game to talk to the player about setting out on their own and that the game will operate under real-life time.
After the player has established an upgraded Resident Services building, Tom Nook gives the player a goal of improving the island in order to convince K.K. to play a concert there. Once the required 3 star island rating is met, K.K. will arrive the next day to play a concert. After that, he will show up every Saturday and play a concert in the evening. The player can request a song for him to play. Like in previous games, you will receive a copy of the first song he plays, and the credits play during requested songs. If there is any event that takes the plaza on a Saturday, K.K. Slider will show up on the Sunday.
K.K. Slider will also show up on resident birthdays.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee
K.K. Slider makes a cameo in Super Smash Bros. Melee appearing as a trophy as well as being one of the special characters and appearing in a screenshot in the stages.
"A wandering musician whose daily life is a bit of a mystery. He plays in front of the train station every Saturday night starting at 8:00 PM. He has a large repertoire and plays old and new hits from all over the world. His music is so ingrained in the villagers that it's impossible to imagine them living without it."
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
K.K. Slider makes again a cameo in Super Smash Bros. Brawl appearing as a trophy as well as being one of the special characters and appearing in a screenshot in the stages. On the Stage "Smashville", K.K. Slider has a performance every Saturday from 8:00 PM until midnight. Normally the other background characters on Smashville pay attention and react to the fight, but when K.K. is performing, their attention is focused solely on him.
"A wandering musician. He plays concerts every Saturday night at the Roost in the basement of the museum. All he carries is a single acoustic guitar, but he can play music from all genres. You can request a single tune per concert, and afterward he will give you a recording of the song to take home. In Wild World, his playlist included 70 songs."
In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
K.K. Slider once again appears on the stage "Smashville" performing his Saturday concerts from 8:00 PM until midnight, but he also performs on the stage "Town and City" on Saturdays at the same times.
In Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
K.K., along with other characters, appears in Mario Kart 8 in the Animal Crossing race course of the Crossing Cup, included with the Animal Crossing × Mario Kart 8 downloadable content package. He sits in different predetermined spots on the course depending on the season; in addition, he performs a song when the player drives close to him, each corresponding with a specific mood:
- In the spring season he will be across from the museum, and will perform Bubblegum K.K. ("good" mood);
- In the summer season he will be poised atop a cliff adjacent to the beach, and will perform Go K.K. Rider ("grumpy" mood);
- In the autumn season he will be sitting right near the starting lines, and will perform K.K. Bossa ("lazy" mood);
- In the winter season he will be sitting on the steps to Brewster's The Roost, and will perform Stale Cupcakes ("a little sad" mood).
He also appears in the Switch version of the game, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, this time included in the base game instead of with paid DLC.
In the Splatoon 2 - Live Concert at Nintendo Live 2019 - Nintendo Switch
At the beginning of the show, K.K Slider will appear and talk to the audience:
Then he will perform one song from one of his games and then fade out with a whistling version of the Splatoon Theme.
The Show Can be Found Here:
- In Animal Crossing, K.K. does in fact say his name is Totakeke, but prefers to just be known as K.K. Slider. However, he has not mentioned this in subsequent English releases.
- K.K. is based on an Animal Crossing sound designer, Kazumi Totaka. In Japanese culture, the family name is said before the personal name; his name therefore is said Totaka Kazumi in Japanese. That can be shortened to "Totaka K.," which sounds like "Totakeke."
- In Animal Crossing, K.K. will appear in a spot-lighted room if a memory card has not been inserted or if the game's clock needs to be reset.
- He is also the first character the player sees when they play the game 'for the first time' (if the memory card has no Animal Crossing data on it, as if they are making a town for the first time). K.K. will welcome the player to the world of Animal Crossing. He will talk about how cool it is to be living on your own, but mentions that it can be lonely. He tells the player they can 'invite more friends' (create up to 3 more characters) to move in to the town so they won't be as lonely. After that, the player will be greeted by a villager of their town to start up the game, unless there's no memory card or the clock needs to reset, as stated above.
- One of K.K. Slider's songs is actually a song called Totaka's song, made by the Animal Crossing sound designer. The song appears in a lot of games he has worked on. In the Animal Crossing games, Totaka's song is referred to as K.K. Song.
- He appears alongside Rosie and Tom Nook in the 2010 Nintendo Collector's Edition of Monopoly.
- When talking to a player, he will change his rhymes and phrases depending on the gender(for example: to a boy, "My ax is hot to play, so cop a seat, Pete." to a girl, " My axe is hot to play, so cop a chair, Claire."). Pete and Claire are the names of two of the male and female protagonists from Harvest Moon, a life simulation video game series that is sometimes compared to Animal Crossing.
- According to the K.K. Slider amiibo page, near the end of the info passage, it reveals that Isabelle has a crush on him, and joking by giving a 'Nobody could blame her, right?' type at the end of the passage.
- K.K Slider shares his birthday with Nana. They both have a birthday on August 23rd.
- Out of all the animals in the game, K.K. Slider is the only animal that's naked.