- This article is about the character. For the store, see Kicks (store).
“It'll just take a kick or two.”Kicks (シャンク, Shanku?, Shank) is a character introduced in City Folk. He is a male skunk, who, in City Folk, shines shoes for a living in the city on fair weather days. He can be found outside the run-down building between Lloid's auction house and Shampoodle. This building used to be owned by Brewster, as he reveals when he says he used to own a place in the city that did bad business and is boarded up now. In New Leaf, he runs a shoe shop named Kicks, which sells both shoes and socks. In New Horizons, Kicks begins making weekly visits to the Deserted Island after the Able Sisters shop has been built, and sells a selection of rare shoes, socks, and bags.
― Kicks, City Folk
Kicks is a skunk. His fur is black with white and light blue lines running down from his nose to his tail. His eyes are dark purple and he has a light pink nose. For apparel, he wears a brown hat, along with brown suspenders, and brown boot-like shoes.
In New Leaf, he wears a buttoned-up, white dress shirt as his outfit.
In City Folk
If the player buys his services for 500 Bells, Kicks' shoe-shine will change the colour of the player's shoes to match their hair or outfit (not including pattern-made shirts which produce the defaults). If the shoes do not change colours, Kicks will not charge for his services.
There are only a select number of shoe patterns which can match each hair and outfit combo. Kicks will only come on fair weather days, and even if the player time travels, Kicks will still appear. The player's shoes' appearance can only be changed once a day and affects Gracie's appraisal. He will sometimes ask if the player would like a masculine or feminine shine.
In New Leaf
Kicks owns his own store, which is also called Kicks. It can be constructed in the player's town by spending 8,000 Bells in the Able Sisters' store. Once bought, it will take three days to build and will be built next door to the Able Sisters'.
The player can buy shoes and socks to further customize their outfit. In previous games, the player can only change the color or style of shoes to match an outfit.
In amiibo Festival
Kicks is a playable character in amiibo Festival, available when the Kicks amiibo is scanned on the Wii U. Sometimes when the player playing as Kicks lands on an event square in the Amiibo Festival Board Game mode, a random event specifically related to Kicks may appear.
Kicks has 6 unlockable costumes for the game, unlocked through leveling up the Kicks amiibo:
- Work outfit (Level 1)
- Pants with suspenders (Level 2)
- Pink shirt with blue overalls (Level 3)
- Magician (Level 4)
- Cowboy (Level 5)
- Hotel staff (Level 6)
In Pocket Camp
Kicks occasionally appears in the Market Place, selling socks and shoes for the player to purchase.
In New Horizons
Kicks appears in the Resident Services plaza once per week as a traveling peddler after the player constructs the Able Sisters shop on their island. He sells shoes, socks, and bags, and offers his services from 5am to 10pm.
- The name "Kicks" is the slang word for tennis shoes.
- In New Leaf, like Labelle, Kicks will react to most negative emotions, such as "Sheepishness" and "Worry," and will only react to very few positive emotions.
- In New Leaf, the song playing in the store is based upon the theme song of Eureka.
- In New Leaf, Kicks has the voice of a smug villager.
- While Kicks is the only Skunk in the series, Blaire and Tasha are squirrels that are designed to resemble skunks.
- Kicks's attire is based on Oliver Twist.
- Kicks' regional names tend to be just as shoe-laden: Schubert means shoemaker, Betunio is derived from the word for shoe polish and Sciuscià means shoeshine.
- He is featured on the cover of Animal City.