Lazy villagers (ぼく Boku, or ぼんやり Bonyari) (sometimes called relaxed, doofus, or food-loving villagers) are male characters in the Animal Crossing series. The name refers to their calm, laid-back lifestyle as well as their hospitable nature and love of food. As of now, there are 74 lazy villagers.
Lazy villagers have a relaxed and easygoing approach to living in the town. They are generally friendly and hospitable when interacting with the player and other villagers, and they are fairly confident in themselves and their lifestyle.
In Wild World, they may mention reading an unseen magazine, called "Chillin' Magazine", which also reflects on their chilled, relaxed lifestyle. They often mention theories relating to certain aspects of the town, which they will mention in conversation to the player or other villagers. For example, some lazy villagers will wonder aloud who has to sit inside the Tom Nook Point System to make it talk.
Often, they will mention their beliefs that Tom Nook's store has a basement filled with Tom Nook stuffed animals. They often express a fascination with Tom Nook's fluffy tail, and will sometimes ask for copies of the unseen comic, Bagel Boy. They talk about doing hobbies including fishing, bug catching, fossil digging, planting flowers, and having good fashion. Lazy villagers will often ask you to catch a bug or dig a fossil etc. depending on what hobby they like to do at the time. Once you become good friends with a lazy villager, they will tell you their made-up stories usually relating to the player, like in dreams. Other times they will not tell you their stories because they fear you will not like them. They do not take insults most of the time but sometimes they can, though they are very friendly and open minded. They also tend to dramatize when sick, and they often pronounce 'medicine' as 'bedicine'. They will also sometimes make suggestive phrases to the player, or say "Ah huh huh huh! That's why they call me <villager's name> the romantic!"
Lazy villagers usually go to sleep at 10:00 PM, and awaken at 8:00 AM in Animal Crossing. In Wild World and City Folk, they usually go to sleep at 1:30 AM, and awaken at 8:00 AM. In New Leaf, they go to sleep at 11:00 PM and wake up at 9:00 AM. In New Horizons they go to sleep at 11:00 PM and wake up at 8:00 AM. They find it easy to get along with and talk to other villagers, including the player. They get along more with other lazy, peppy, and normal villagers. Jock villagers will find it difficult to get along with them, due to their conflicting lifestyles of relaxing compared to the jock lifestyle of exercising and fitness. Lazy villagers are often brought down by snooty villagers because of their diet, lifestyle, and bitter comments towards them.
Cranky villagers will get along with lazy villagers too, as they too enjoy the slow-paced lifestyle and outlook on life. They sometimes get cranky or sad when talking to jock villagers. Sometimes they will make peppy, snooty, or jock villagers angry, and they can make other villagers sad. Moreover, beginning in New Leaf, smug and sisterly villagers will easily get along with lazy villagers, appreciating how laid-back and hospitable they are. In New Leaf, unlike the other villagers, they will bow instead of wave to the player when they exit their home (normal villagers will also do this as well).
Ducks of a lazy personality have a tendency to ask if the player wants to hear a scary story. Of course, this is common with other species of lazy villagers as well, but if the player says yes, they will tell them the mayor's favorite food is Peking duck.
In New Leaf, if a lazy villager is visiting the player's town as a camper, they will mention how good the local fruit is.
In New Horizons, lazy villagers will talk about their "bug friends" about as often as they talk about food.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by lazy villagers.
- "I've got a lot on my mind right now, so I don't really feel like chatting, <catchphrase>."
When Giving a Gift
- "Since you're always helping me out, I got you a little present. It's a <item>! Take it! It's all yours, <catchphrase>! As soon as I saw it, I totally thought of you!"
- "Hey I found the <item> you've been hunting for, <name>. Wait - what?- "come on now. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. You're always doing stuff for me, a I just wanted to show my thanks. Here you go, <catchphrase>. I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for stuff you might like. I'll let you know if I find anything cool!"
Around Toy Day
- I heard a really freaky rumor... Jingle apparently gives people the wrong present a lot of the time! You've really gotta focus in on exactly what you want. Toy Day is one of my favorite holidays!"
- A huh huh huh! It's just a few more nights until Toy Day! I want it to come soon, so I've been going to bed earlier, <catchphrase>. Anyway, i'm really hoping for a <characteristic>."
- "Toy Day is almost here! The wait is sooooo hard! Anyway, between you and me, I asked Jingle for some <characteristic> this year."
- "So I wanted to talk to you... But I forgot what I was going to say. Sorry about that. I'll try really hard to remember, <catchphrase>."
- "I heard a rumor about you everyone is saying you're kind of a <rumor>! I'm jealous I wish I were popular enough for people to gossip about, <catchphrase>!"
- "I was trying to open my drawer with my foot, and I stubbed my toe, <catchphrase>. It hurt so much I cried, but I still want to learn how to do chores with only my feet. It's a long-term goal of mine."
- I'm pretty forgetful, but I'll record the good times we've shared in the notebook of my heart."
- "I'm debating about what's the best way to enjoy the kind of weather we're having today. But if I don't hurry up and decide soon, the entire day is gonna be over!
- "I heard this real scary story... Do you want to hear it? Putting (food) in (other food)... Produces the flavor of (another food). Ewwwww! It's so creepy and unnatural!"
- "Huh huh huh Say good-bye to Mr. Sun, <catchphrase>."
- "Keep it real. Real chill."
- "Hey, dude, did you frame that picture of me? Uh huh huh HUH! Man, I feel like a celebrity! Do you want my autograph, too!?"
- "Do you have a favorite place? You know, a place where you can take a midday nap when you're tired? Huh? Oh me? Well, when you're out, sometimes I like to snooze on your floor!"
- "My New Year's resolution is to eat vanilla pudding and creme brulee until I drop."
- ". . . May I chew on your hair?"
- "I was thinking about getting a shoe-shine... But the shoe guy isn't even here! <catchphrase>!
- "I love talking about people! It's almost as much fun as eating!"
- "You love me, you love me not. You love me, you love me not." *reply "I love you!"* "I love green peppers not, <catchphrase>."
- Inside his house: "<greeting> I guess this means you like my place, huh, <catchphrase>?"
When Starting a Conversation
- "Hey, look! It's my old buddy <name> again! <catchphrase>! Anyway, did you need something?"
- "Yay! It's <name>!"
- "Hey again, <name>. What can I help you with this time, <catchphrase>?"
- "Don't worry. I've always got time for you, <name>. Well then, what can I do for you?"
- "Is everything OK with you, <name>? What do you want to talk about now, <catchphrase>?
- "Aw, are you feeling lonely? Well, what do you want to chat about, <catchphrase>?"
- "Hey there! It's always so good to see you, <catchphrase>!"
- "Oh... Kinda weird how we keep bumping into each other today.
- "I'm out on a snack run!"
- Sleeping. Come back when I'm awake.
- I'm sleeping! Please don't disturb me!
- Sleeping. Don't wake me up. ZZZZZZ.
At the Roost
- "I feel so grown-up sitting here in the cafe. If I stay here long enough, I'll probably have to start shaving, <catchphrase>!"
- "I wonder if Brewster would pour the coffee directly into my mouth if I asked him nicely."
- "Don't tell Brewster, but I emptied the sugar bowl in my coffee."
- "I smell a <furniture item>. It's yours, isn't it? -How'd you know?- "Are you kidding? I've been looking for one of those forever. Wanna trade it for my sweet, sweet <item>? -Sure!- Yesssssss! Well, there's no point waiting around. Let's do this! A huh huh huh! Thanks a million, <catchphrase>!
- "You know how one person's trash is another person's treasure? Well, my stuff is all treasure. So how about trading your <item> for my <item>? What do you say? -Let's trade- Yesssss! Trading treasure for treasure is a win-win for both of us! Trading stuff is sooo fun. We gotta do this again, <catchphrase>!"
When Visiting Player's House
- "Honey, I'm home! A huh huh huh! Just kidding, <catchphrase>."
When Visiting the Player’s House Unannounced
- ”Hey <name> Let’s hang out!
Names in other languages
- The Japanese name 'boku' is a personal pronoun that can be used casually and is friendly. It is generally used by males, and sometimes females.