|Appearances||NL, HHD, PC, NH|
|Regional names|| Racine |
“Zzzzzz... Weeds... Weeds everywhere...”Leif (レイジ, Reiji?) is a new character introduced in New Leaf. He is the one and only sloth species to appear in the series. His name is a Norse name and a play on the word "leaf", which represents how sloths live in trees and how Leif owns a gardening store. His Japanese name is the English word lazy", which refers to how sloths act.
― Leif, New Leaf
When 50 or more weeds have appeared in the player's town, he can occasionally be seen wandering around the town. When talked to, he sometimes offers to pull some of the town's weeds. Unless he is dozing, in which case he will ask the player to pick the weeds for him.
In Pocket Camp he appears during "Leif's Spring Flower Event" in search of rare pink, yellow, purple and navy flower ladybugs to restore an ecosystem. The player has to grow white clovers as well as yellow and pink sleeping beauties in their garden in order to attract these ladybugs. Leif will reward the player with various bonuses, including new furniture, new clothing, essences, leaf tickets and even a spring flower foreground and middle ground.
Leif is a sloth. He has light brown fur with a white face patch. He has black spots on his eyes with a thick line that runs to the side of his face. He has pink circles on his cheeks and his mouth is clownish like. He also has small claws on his hands. For apparel, he wears a green cap with a flower print on it. He wears orange overalls and green small boots.
Leif often uses the word "happy" as an adjective for certain objects. In particular, this can be seen when talking about his wares where he says "happy [item name]". This may be a reference to the late painter Bob Ross. When the player asks about an item Leif stops to think about the price. This makes the player think he might be a bit slow (unintelligent), possibly because sloths are very slow moving animals.
- According to Lyle, Leif is very passionate about keeping the town weed-free and gave an inspiring speech to him, Tom Nook, and others.
- In the English version, the name Leif may be a reference to the English word "lief," meaning willing or glad. His name also sounds similar to the word "leaf", because of its relevance to the Gardening Store.
- Leif is the only character in the series to have moving fingers.
- Leif shares his birthday with Bud
- He has the voice of a jock villager.
- In Desert Island Escape Lief has the "Sleepy" ability in which he sleeps an entire day giving him double energy the next, reflecting the laziness of real sloths.