|8.60 in. 21 cm|| Tiny (AC, WW)|
Small (CF, NL)
|Time of year||Time of day|
|March to May||All day|
|Scientific name||Misgurnus anguillicaudatus (Cantor, 1842)|
|Family||Cobitidae- True Loaches|
|Appearances||AF, AF+, AC, AFe+, WW, CF, NL , PC|
|Regional names|| Cobite |
- "I caught a loach! It wasn't hard to approach!" —New Leaf
The loach is a fish found in the river at all times of the day during the months of March through to May, making it the only fish restricted to the season of Spring. It is much harder to find during May.
Donation to the museum
In Animal Crossing
"Even run-of-the-mill, common fish are valuable resources, you see. All part of the grand tapestry, wot!"
In Wild World
"Hoo! You gave me a start! I thought you said "roach"! ...Hoo hoo! What a relief! When I hear loach, I think of a friend of mine who makes smoothies of them. It sounds repellent, I know, and to be honest, it is. Hoo, I say! The stench!"
In City Folk
"The loach is a slippery, somewhat vile-looking fish...but in truth, it can be quite useful, wot? For ages, some cultures used the loach as a poison treatment. It also tastes great in a hot pot... A bit of wisdom for the day, eh wot? One must never judge a person, or a fish, by its appearance..."
The loach can be found in the middle-left tank.
In New Leaf
Loaches are rather small fish that make their habitats in rivers and muddy water. They have 10 whiskers around their mouths with taste buds built in for tasting sweetness and bitterness. Loaches can breathe through their intestines as well as their gills - a rather unique quality of the species. They push their mouths above the surface of the water to inhale, exhaling through their tail regions. Making stew with loaches and burdock root is known to improve stamina, or so people believe.
- "I caught a loach! You don't suppose its Hylian, do you?" —Animal Crossing
- "I caught a loach! I'm the loach coach!" —Wild World
- "I caught a loach! Don't enroach on my loach!" —City Folk
| "Sucker-shaped mouths help them bottom-feed. To control their vertical position in the water, they inhale air and pass gas. Shocking!"|
Further informationIt is unclear what type of loach appears in Animal Crossing, due to the vast varieties of loaches that exist, but it is most likely the Chinese Weatherfish, also known as Dojo Loach (it may also be one of the Acantopsis genus). The fish in City Folk appears to be a different species.
- When the player catches a loach in Animal Crossing, the player says, "You don't suppose it's Hylian, do you?" This is a reference to the Hylian Loach from the The Legend of Zelda (Series) series (another game developed by Nintendo), where it is considered both the rarest fish and a legendary catch, similar to the Coelacanth from the Animal Crossing series.