Animal Crossing Wiki
Advertisement
This article is about a game mechanic. For the dog villager, see Lucky.
Clover

Wearing a four-leaf clover increases luck.

Luck is a hidden game mechanic that can be influenced to change certain game aspects. Luck varies each day and has the ability to change the player's popularity with their villagers, as well as their chances for obtaining rare items or earning more bells. Tripping may be a side effect of low luck levels.

The luck game mechanic has been introduced in all main series games.

Good Luck[]

Good luck can be influenced by clothing, the Good Luck Charm, Feng Shui, and a fixed game variable that changes every day (also known as the fortune for the day).

Type Effects Likelihood
Wealth The money rock drops the maximum amount of bells.
Amounts of bells received in villager transactions increase.
Trees shaken will drop 200 bells instead of the usual 100.
~%

Friendship

It will become easier to increase friendship with villagers of the same sex as the player.
Villagers are more likely to have a special conversation with another villager of the same sex.
~%
Romance It will become easier to increase friendship with villagers of the opposite sex as the player.
Villagers are more likely to have a special conversation with another villager of the opposite sex.
~%
Item Seashells reappear more frequently.
More likely to receive Saharah-exclusive wallpaper and carpets.
More likely to receive new items from various random luck-based giveaways, such as fortune cookies.
Villagers selling items is more likely.
More likely to receive rare furniture from Leif's weeding challenge.
~%
Health Bee movement is much slower.
Jellyfish appear less.
Mosquito stings are less likely.
~%

Bad luck[]

Badluck

An unlucky player trips on the ground.

Bad luck can be influenced by clothing, Feng Shui, and a fixed game variable that changes every day (also known as the fortune for the day).

Type Effects Likelihood
Wealth The money rock drops less bells.
Amounts of bells received in villager transactions decrease.
Trees shaken are less likely to drop bells, and may drop less than 100 bells.
~%
Friendship It will become harder to increase friendship with villagers of the same sex. ~%
Romance It will become harder to increase friendship with villagers of the opposite sex. ~%
Item Fewer seashells appear on the beach.
Less likely to receive Saharah-exclusive wallpaper and carpets.
Less likely to receive new items from various random luck-based giveaways.
Villagers selling items is less likely.
Sitting on a chair will occasionally make a sound.
~%
Health Bee movement is much faster and harder to avoid.
Jellyfish appear more.
Occasionally the player will trip.
~%

Luck in New Horizons[]

AmF-Blanca-Icon
This article or section has yet to be completed.
Please help complete this article. When the article is being filled in, use the {{construction}} template.

Luck in New Horizons was introduced in the version 2.0.0 update along with Katrina, who is now a vendor at Harv's Island. Once the player speaks to her and asks for the fortune of the day, the game will choose whether the player will have either good or bad luck. Then, the game will decide what type of luck will be affected. There are four types of luck: Money, Health, Belongings, and Friendship. It costs 1,000 Bells to reveal the fortune of the day from Katrina. After she summons her crystal, the player's passport picture will show up inside the crystal. Also inside the crystal will be a background in which its color will correspond to the type of luck for the day. A yellow background means that the day's luck is related to money, a green background means that the day's luck is related to health, a blue background means that the day's luck is related to belongings, and a red background means that the day's luck is related to friendship. If the player had a bad fortune the previous day, then they will have a good fortune the next day. If the player had a good fortune the previous day however, then there will be a 70% chance that the player will have a good fortune again, and a 30% chance that the player will have a bad fortune the next day.

Effects on Gameplay[]

Type Good or Bad Luck Conditions Effects Example Quotes
Money Good None Bells from shaking trees increased to 300 Bells.
Money Rocks drop more Bells.
Higher chance of reciving a Gold nugget from rocks.
Balloons carrying 1,000 Bells will carry 3,000 Bells with this fortune.
The Glowing spot will contain 5,000 Bells if dug up.
Bad None The Glowing spot will disappear.
Money Rocks will act as normal rocks.
No chance of reciving Gold nuggets from rocks.
Baloon drops of 5,000, 10,000, and 30,000 Bells will be replaced with 1,000 Bells.
The player will never be sent to Gold Rock and Scorpion Island when using a Nook Miles Ticket.
Friendship Good No current event
No current Villager Birthday.
A friendship point is added to a random villager who has been talked to before.
There will be a 30% chance that a villager will give the player a version 2.0.0 item.

Affecting Luck[]

Luck can be improved in various ways. Katrina will reveal the "lucky clothing" item for the day, which upon being worn will improve luck only for the day. Alternatively, the player can find out their lucky item of the day by using the Lovely Phone from the Lovely Series, which also yields the lucky items, and reveals the player's current luck status similar to Katrina, but with different flavor text. The end result, however, is the same. A player with good Feng Shui will generally have better luck regardless of what day it is, however, this does not prevent them from receiving bad luck. Some clothing items can increase or decrease luck. For instance, the King Tut Mask decreases luck, while the Four-Leaf Clover increases luck.

Advertisement