May Day is an event in New Horizons. During this event, the player can use a special May Day Ticket at the airport to go on an exclusive island tour arranged by Nook Inc. to thank hard workers. This May Day tour is only available once per character during the week of the event.
The May Day tour
After talking to Tom Nook about the event at Resident Services, the player can go to the airport and redeem their May Day Ticket, which Orville is holding for them. Orville will take and store all items currently in the player's inventory for the duration of the tour, and the player will then be transported to a unique island with an elaborate hedge maze. The maze is designed in such a way that the player must craft certain tools and uproot plants or break rocks to navigate it; mistakes can result in the player being forced to call the Rescue Service, which resets the island and forces the player to start over.
Reaching the end of the island maze and obtaining all possible rewards requires precise tool usage, as listed below:
- Pick up the shovel and dig up the shrub blocking access to a piece of fruit.
- Eat the fruit and use the shovel to dig up the tree blocking the way north.
- Explore the next area and retrieve the worn axe, stone, wood, and tree branches.
- Use the worn axe to cut down the tree in the northwest with two fruit and one tree branch behind it, which will destroy the worn axe.
- Head to the southwest to find a rock blocking the way to one iron nugget, then eat one fruit, break the rock with the shovel, and pick up the iron nugget.
- Head to the southeast to a second rock near a piece of fruit, north of a workbench. Eat one fruit, break the rock with the shovel, and pick up the new fruit.
- This area has two DIY recipes (for players who do not already have them): the flimsy axe and axe. Pick them up and learn them if necessary.
- Eat the fruit to dig up the tree beyond the recipes and reach the workbench.
- Use the workbench to craft a flimsy axe and then an axe.
- Head east from the workbench to a tree with two fruits behind it. Cut it down with the axe and pick up the fruit.
- Return to the area where the iron nugget was found. Chop down the adjacent tree and follow the path to pick up one more fruit.
- Continue along the path to a section with three final trees. Cut them all down to reach the end of the maze, where Rover awaits.
- Speak to Rover to acquire the main prize of the May Day event, Rover's briefcase. At this point, the maze is completed and the player can leave, but there is an optional reward of 9 Bell vouchers worth a total of 27,000 Bells.
- The first four Bell vouchers can be found by digging up shrubs to the east of Rover.
- The final five Bell vouchers can be found by digging up the shrubs to the north of Rover, which leads to the exterior of the maze. Follow the path to the island's northwest, then south to an area with three rocks. Eat three fruits to break the rocks and reach the vouchers.
There are two kinds of rewards that can be obtained from the May Day island: a total of 9 Bell vouchers, and the Rover's briefcase furniture item. All reward items will be sent to the player by mail on the same day they were obtained. Any other items that the player obtains on the island cannot be taken with them when they return home.
If the player already completed the maze in 2020 and completes it again in 2021, they receive Rover's Photo. However, after the 1.10.0 update, it is no longer possible to complete the 2020 version of the maze.
|events by monthList of|