A meteor shower is an event that happens in Animal Crossing, Animal Forest e+, Wild World, City Folk, New Leaf, and New Horizons. As the name implies, meteors or shooting stars shower the sky and the player can wish upon a one to receive a gift either the next day or during the event, depending on the game.

In Animal Crossing, Animal Forest e+, and Animal Forest

In the GameCube games it is on August 12th and lasts from 6pm til 9pm. It is held at the Pond where the player can view the meteors' reflections in the water. The player can receive a telescope from Tortimer during this event. In later games, it is an unscripted event that happens on random nights with clear skies at 7 PM and lasts throughout the night.

In Wild World and City Folk

Meteor showers are renamed "Shooting stars". If the player came across a shooting star, they could repeatedly press the "A" button while it fell from the sky, making a wish on the star. A few days later they would receive a letter from Wishy the Star with a piece of spotlight furniture attached. Spotlight items are normally available at Tom Nook's shop for a high price.

In New Leaf

Meteor shower notice

Meteor showers return in New Leaf, where they will be announced the same day on the Bulletin Board. The player can wish on shooting stars, which are announced by twinkling sounds, during the meteor shower by pressing up on the D-pad to view the sky, then pressing the "A" button when one streaks across the screen. The player must not have anything in their hands to wish on stars. The star will flash to acknowledge the player's wish. The next morning, the player will receive one letter from Wishy the Star with a piece of furniture attached. The number of stars a player wishes on affects only the text of the letter.

Like other versions of the game, the player can't make a wish if they are holding a tool; they must unequip the tool in order to do so.

In New Horizons

Meteor showers are also present in New Horizons, and the player can wish upon individual shooting stars to obtain star fragments, large star fragments, and zodiac star fragments, which will wash up on the beach the next morning to be collected and used in special DIY projects given by Celeste.

Making a Wish

A player wishes on two consecutive stars.

Shooting stars can only appear after 7pm, during hours where the sky is clear or mostly clear of clouds. A ding sound will cue if there is a shooting star present. The player can wish upon a shooting star by looking up at the sky with the right joystick and pressing A. The wish cannot be made if the player has a tool in-hand. If the wish is made successfully, a louder twinkling sound will play as the star flares. Wishes can still be made if there are buildings or trees blocking the sky.

Star fragments

The next day on the beach, star fragments can be found in random places much like seashells. There can be up to 20 star fragments washed up on the beach if the player wished on at least 20 stars. Not all of the star fragments may appear at a time; some may spawn later if the first star fragments have already been picked up by the player.

A player wishes on three consecutive stars.

Up to an additional 20 star fragments may spawn if the player had guests wishing on stars as well, at a rate of 1 extra fragment per 4 wishes, up to 100. When a visitor makes a wish, a star fragment will appear on the beaches of their own island.

Trivia

  • Typically, no more than a handful of shooting stars appear a given night. Rarely, there is a large meteor shower that lasts all night long in which hundreds of shooting stars may appear. The odds of a large meteor shower occurring varies based on the date, and will be announced by Isabelle during the daily announcements.
  • The star fragments are used to craft various DIY recipes such as wands and zodiac set furniture, which can be obtained by talking to Celeste, who visits the Deserted Island randomly. There is also a Nook Miles reward for making a certain number of wishes.
  • It is possible to see and wish on shooting stars while dreaming.
    • However, they will not spawn any star fragments the following day, neither will they count towards the Nook Miles reward.
  • Each wish has an 80% chance to spawn a NH-star fragment-icon.pngstar fragment, a 5% chance to spawn a NH-large star fragment-icon.pnglarge star fragment, and a 15% chance to spawn an appropriate Zodiac star fragment.

Gallery

In Animal Crossing

This page requires additional images.


In Wild World

In New Leaf

New Horizons

Other Media


Events
Aflogo.png Af+logo.png Animal.png Afe+logo.png Animal Crossing Wild World Logo.png Animal Crossing- City Folk (logo).png Animal Crossing New Leaf logo.png Animal Crossing New Horizons logo.png
Month Events
January Festive SeasonLa-Di-DayLunar New YearNew Year's DayYay Day
February Bright NightsFestivaleGroundhog DayLeap DayLunar New YearValentine's Day
March Bunny DayFestivaleShamrock DaySpring Sports Fair
April April Fool's DayBunny DayCherry Blossom Season(N)Maple Leaf Season(S)Nature DayWeeding Day
May International Museum DayMay DayMother's DayMushrooming Season(S)Nature DaySpring Cleaning
June Father's DayGraduation DaySummer SolsticeWedding Season
July Fireworks ShowHometown Day
August Fireworks ShowFounder's DayMeteor ShowerObon
September Fall Sports FairHarvest Moon FestivalLabor Day
October Cherry Blossom Season(S)Explorer's DayHalloweenHarvest Moon FestivalMushrooming Season
November Harvest FestivalMayor's DayMushrooming Season(N)Officer's DayMaple Leaf Season(N)Sale Day
December Festive SeasonNaughty or Nice DayNew Year's EveSnow DayToy DayWinter Solstice
Recurring Events
Bug OffFishing TourneyLotteryFlea MarketMorning AerobicsTortimer's Vacation
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.