Niko (ニコ Niko?) is a special NPC monkey who debuted in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise. He was revealed in the October 15th, 2021 Animal Crossing Nintendo Direct. He also appears in Pocket Camp as a Happy Homeroom judge.
Niko is a type of gray and white monkey known as a gray langur. He is slightly smaller than other monkeys, and has black eyes and an orange nose. The insides of his ears is a light reddish, coral color and he has a tuft of hair across his forehead. He wears a hat with a yellow hat band. His ears are larger than other monkeys, as well.
Niko is a very lively and friendly individual. He is very similar to peppy villagers because of how energetic he is. If you overtake him when he is running when the player first arrives at the archipelago he will run faster to catch up to the player. Later on in the game, it is revealed that he likes DIY.
He owns a boat which he calls the Monkey Boat Express.
He is usually found near the dock where the Dodo Airlines airplane is, near his boat. He may be found exercising, and there is a special loading screen of the Monkey Boat Express with Niko on it while travelling among the islands in the archipelago.
Niko knows everything about the archipelago, and can take the player to any island. He is the player’s guide, the player can also talk to him for information.
Later on, Niko teaches the player how to make partition walls, pillars, and counters.
"Just remember, I'm your guy if there's anything you need."
"The islands around here are kinda like my backyard, you know?"
- Niko's name is possibly taken from Nikko, the leader of the Flying Monkeys in the 1939 Wizard of Oz film.
- Niko, alongside the newly-added Katrina, are the second and third special NPCs after Leif to feature individual digits on their character models, as opposed to the usual stumps. Unlike Leif and Katrina, Niko has actual fingers as opposed to pronounced claws.
- Niko, Redd, and Kapp'n are the only three characters to sail a boat.
- If the player chooses to design Niko's vacation home via his amiibo Card, his role in the designing process will be taken over by Lottie.
- Niko has his own loading screen animation.
- Niko showed Lottie around the island that Happy Home Paradise takes place on when she first arrived, initially as a tourist.
In other languages