|This article requires clean-up to meet the quality standards of the Animal Crossing Wiki.|
Reactions are effects used by both players and villagers in Wild World, City Folk, New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, and New Horizons. From Animal Forest to Animal Forest e+, only villagers could perform emotions. New Horizons changed their name from "Emotions" to Reactions.
Villagers may be seen expressing emotions during conversations, but also when walking about town. For example: two villagers having a conversation may become angry, and will be seen expressing that emotion for several minutes after the conversation ends, after which they calm down again. Villagers can talk while expressing emotions to the player and other villagers during conversations.
In New Leaf, Clerks and workers such as Phyllis, Kicks, and Labelle may show different responses when the player shows emotions. This can include replying with sheepishness when sorrow or worry is used, or anger when any happy emotion is used. In Happy Home Designer, the player gains emotions by completing assigned tasks for planning out clients' houses and buildings. Coworkers may also show emotions as well, such as Isabelle displaying sheepishness when a project isn't quite complete yet.
In Photos Together with Animal Crossing, such as Isabelle or Cyrus are able to display a few emotions including joy and happiness. Special characters show joy or happiness when camera filters such as snow or bubbles are used. When you tap the screen, some special characters will have different reactions. Cyrus will display anger, Isabelle displays joy, Rover displays idea, and Kapp'n and Mabel display laughter. All can display surprise or curiosity at times when tapping the screen.
- 1 Villager Emotions
- 2 Learning Emotions
- 3 Emotion lists
- 4 Emotional Quotes
- 4.1 Cranky
- 4.2 Jock
- 4.3 Lazy
- 4.4 Peppy
- 4.5 Normal
- 4.6 Snooty
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- Expressed by a villager's head turning red and releasing white puffs of smoke, as well as a change in posture while walking and a higher pitch of voice. May be induced by the player, other villagers, or stepping on a pitfall seed.
- Expressed by an exclamation mark appearing over the villager's head and approaching the player eagerly. In this case the villager would like to speak with the player.
- Expressed by a dark purple cloud over the villager's head, with a faint rumbling noise, as well as a change in posture while walking, and a lower pitch of voice. May be induced by the player or other villagers.
- Mostly visually similar to Sadness, but with intermittent shivering, sneezing during conversation, and sneezing at random intervals outside of conversation in New Horizons. Sick villagers can only be found inside their own homes. Occurs rarely to a random villager at 6am (5am in New Horizons), and can only effect one villager at any given time. Usually lasts for three days.
- Expressed by villagers reading the bulletin board, planting flowers, after having a conversation with another villager, or when villagers have been spoken to repeatedly. While expressing this emotion, villagers tilt their head and put their hand on their chin. In some cases, a thought bubble with three dots ("...") may also appear above the villager's head. Villagers in thought cannot be talked to without a delay.
- In New Horizons, Thought might also indicate that a villager might need something, want to give the player a gift, or want to move out.
The degree and frequency of the emotions expressed often depends on the villager's personality type. Lazy villagers may sob when sad, while cranky and snooty villagers rarely display this emotion. Conversely, cranky villagers become angry more frequently than lazy villagers, and cranky villagers cry when happy too. If a villager is pushed or hit three times with a tool, they may express sadness or anger depending on their personality.
In New Leaf, when a player performs an emotion in front of a villager or special character, that character may respond accordingly, depending on the emotion used. Exceptions to this include Sable, Grams, and K.K. Slider.
In Wild World and City Folk
In Wild World, the player can learn emotions from Dr. Shrunk in a random encounter with where he is walking around the village. After the player learns an emotion for the first time, the emotions menu can be accessed by clicking on the purple Rover speech bubble tab.
In City Folk, Dr. Shrunk is found in the city's theater, where emotions can be learned for 800 Bells. He is sometimes replaced by Frillard, who teaches emotions not known by Dr. Shrunk. The player can store up to four emotions at any time, and must forget an existing emotion if they want to learn a new one. After receiving an emotion for the first time, that emotion will be available at the top left of the screen alongside other stored emotions.
The Close emotion from Wild World and City Folk can only be obtained by hacking. The icon looks like the Anger emotion, but every time the icon is clicked, the player shows a different random emotion.
In New Leaf and Happy Home Designer
In New Leaf, there are more emotions and they are easier to obtain. After Club LOL has been built, the player can bring fruit to Dr. Shrunk. This must be done before 8pm, except when K.K. Slider is having a party. Dr. Shrunk will perform emotions on stage for the player to learn. Frillard does not appear in New Leaf, but all his emotions can be learned from Dr. Shrunk instead. There are a total of 40 emotions in New Leaf, which can be accessed via the menu at the bottom of the screen. Unlike previous games, all 40 emotions may be acquired and stored without needing to forget any.
In Happy Home Designer, there are even more emotions, 48 in total. They are all learned randomly after completing a villager's house, with the exception of Shrunk Funk Shuffle, Lottie's All Set Pose, and Complete, which will always be the last emotions the player learns.
In New Horizons
In New Horizons, you can unlock the ability to learn reactions after a villager approaches you and mentions them. Each reaction is learned when a villager calls the player by name, usually indicating they want to teach one to them. Only certain reactions can be taught by certain villagers, all based on their personality. There are 44 reactions that can be accessed in a reaction menu after learning them. Eight reactions can be placed in a wheel for quick access. Two new reactions Haunt and Scare were released during the 1.5.0 Fall Update. Not long after, nine new Reactions—Sit Down, Wave Goodbye, Take a Picture, Sniff Sniff, Work Out, Yoga, Here You Go, Excited, and Ta-da—were later added in the 1.6.0 Free Winter Update.
These are examples of quotes villagers say when they are angry or upset.
- "You keep this up and you're gonna be cruisin' for a bruisin'!"
- "Shut up! You lookin' for a fight? No? Then back off, buddy!"
- "Buzz off! You're really annoying me!"
- "Pheh! ..."
- "This can't be happening... I can't believe I screwed up so badly..."
- "AUGH! Just leave me alone, OK (catchphrase)?!"
- "I'm warning you to stay away from me! Nothing personal, but I am about to explode and you don't want to be around for that!"
- "I told you to keep away from me! I don't want to gnaw your ankle, but at this rate, I just might (catchphrase)!"
- "Hey, looking for a fight?! Eh? Keep this up and you'll find one!"
- "Do you want me to despise you? Well congratulations, mission accomplished!"
- "Shut up! I'm in a really, really bad mood right now!"
- "Man, I sure love it when you CONSTANTLY bug me! Can you see the sarcasm dripping off my words, (catchphrase)?"
- "Meh, the whole world has become a cold place, (catchphrase)"
- "Cut me some slack, will ya? I mean (catchphrase)!!! I'm having the kind of day you wouldn't wish on a fruit thief."
- "I guess it's time I stopped living a lie, (catchphrase)."
- "...Oh, (catchphrase). I'm just straight-up pathetic."
- "Grrr! Why does everyone around here have to act like such a chump, (catchphrase)?"
- "I don't wanna see you right now. You need to think about what you did for a while, (catchphrase)!"
- "Grah! Man, you are annoying! Learn how to play by yourself, (catchphrase)!"
- "You're a real piece of work, you know that? Just leave me...just leave me alone, (catchphrase)."
- "What!? What do you want? Don't you get it? I'm not in the mood, chucklehead! Scram, (catchphrase)!"
- "It's a cold, hard world we live in, kiddo. I envy you for not knowing that yet, (catchphrase)."
- "Hmph...I don't want your sympathy. Sometimes an animal just needs to be alone."
- "Sigh...I've got to stop sighing like this. It only gets me deeper in the dumps."
- "Durg Durgit! I'm surrounded by a bunch of jokers!"
- "Leave me alone! I want to be with myself for a little while!"
- "If you don't want to hear me say anything bad, then just go away, (catchphrase)!"
- "Argh... Look, I'm in a bad mood." Then "If you don't want to hear me say something mean, you should just go away!"
- "MAN! You're such a pain! Don't talk to me right now!"
- "Hmmmm... No, if I did that, then it'd turn out all... Ah, sorry. I'm thinking about something kinda important, so we'll have to talk later!"
- "Awww... Hmmmm... What was I thinking about...? Ah, that's right! Hmmm... I'm sorta lost in thought, so can we talk some other time?"
- "AHHH! I am so ticked off!"
- "Go away! Just looking at you makes me want to scream!"
- "Shut your yap, talkie! Make like a tree and leave, (catchphrase)!"
- "I'm so mad, my muscles are gonna pop off my dang body!"
- "NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY! I'm so mad, I'm gonna explode! YAAAAARGH!!!"
- "AAARGH! NOOOO!!! I can't do this anymore!"
- "Ugh, what?! Go climb a cliff or something!"
- "If I give you a protein shake, would you go bug someone else?!"
- "Leave me alone. I gotta tend to this wicked bod of mine!"
- "You should spend less time bugging me and more time at the gym!"
- "Agh, gimme a STUPID BREAK!!!"
- "Hurmph, I hardly have any tears left!"
- "I don't know why but I'm feeling blue. Maybe I need more vitamins."
- "Do NOT talk to me today, (catchphrase)!"
- "NO! NO! NO! I just don't get this puny, wimp-faced, extremeness world, (catchphrase)!"
- "GRRRRR! I'm like a big, tackling dummy of pure RAGE, (catchphrase)!"
- "Back off, scrawny! Does it look like I'm in the mood to chat?"
- "Dude, (player). Just leave me alone!"
- "Crying? I don't even know how to cry. My eyes only sweat."
- "Hey, even I can be mad sometimes, you know?! Humph!"
- "Just leave me alone already, (catchphrase)!"
- "Man, come on.. I got to get over this..."
- "I may have strong biceps but it doesn't mean I'll never get hurt inside, waaaaa even I get sad once in a while!"
- "Just hang on! I'm calculating the amount of calories I burned today! I gotta do this, so can you just leave me alone for awhile?"
- "I'm so angry, and you talking to me is like dangling a red scarf in front of a bull, you know?! Stay away from me, unless you want me to charge into you and poke you right in your nose!"
- "I'm not always smiles, you know! You don't want me bustin' out angry all over you, so back off, (catchphrase)!"
- "Grrrrrrr, (catchphrase)! I'm really really mad! I'm warning you! Stay away! It's a danger zone here!"
- "I'm usually pretty mellow, but my fuse has been lit! This isn't gonna be pretty, so you should stay away from me for a while!"
- "Grrrrrrrrr!!! Reaching maximum overload in ten seconds... Apologize all you want, but it makes no difference because I am already MAD!"
- "Aw, you got me all worked up. Grrr, (catchphrase)!"
- "(Player) I am begging to stay away from me. See, sadness is contagious. If you come close to me, you'll catch it and it will be a real downer!"
- "(Phew...) It's so depressing and I'm hungry. I even can't explain what happened right now. (catchphrase)"
- "I'm sorry, but seeing you right now isn't cheering me up at all."
- "I'm too mad to talk right now! Please, just leave me alone!"
- "Everyone gets mad sometimes. EVEN ME!"
- "When a mellow guy gets mad, everyone better WATCH OUT!"
- "I feel like cotton candy that someone sat on..."
- "I'm so down in the dumps. I really don't want to talk right now, (catchphrase)."
- "I never knew you could be so annoying."
In Wild World
- "Ooh. Do you know what I hate the most? Insensitive JERKS!"
- "I'm so mad I can't hear a word you're saying!"
- "If have one word to describe you, it would "VERYVERYANNOYING!!!!""
- "Can't you see I'm like angry, ANGRY?! SO VERY ANGRY?! Leave me alone!"
- "Beat it lame-o! I don't want to talk to you ever ever again!"
- "You know, some folks like persistence. BUT NOT ME! SCRAM!!!!"
- "No one, not a single person, understands how I feel. I'm so sick of it!"
- "Even the peppiest of the people feel blue sometimes. It's a sad fact of life."
- "I am usually feeling quite chipper, but now I'm overworked."
- "I feel terrible. It felt like someone hit my heart with a net."
- "Enough, (catchphrase)! Enough, enough, enough, enough! ENOUGH!!!"
- "I am SO MAD! I mean, can't you like TELL?! (catchphrase)."
- "So...like...angry... Can't...like...speak... Graaarrgh!"
- "Stay away from me by at least 300 feet!"
- "I can't hear you! I can't hear you! I...can't...hear...you!"
- "So sad... Soooooooooo sad."
- "I'm sad, (catchphrase). Like, to the max..."
- "I'm the unhappiest, unluckiest, and most unloved girl in all of (town)."
- "Don't you come near me! I don't want to talk to anyone, (catchphrase)!"
- "I'm sorry, but... I just want to be alone right now."
- "...I don't feel like talking right now, (catchphrase). Sorry."
- "When my mother gets angry, she breaks dishes. Well I broke 10 dishes, so back off!"
- "Grrrrrrrr!!! Man! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"
- "Would you please leave me alone? I got good (villager's name) one shoulder and evil (villager's name) on the other. And the two are duking it out in my brain so back off (catchphrase)!"
- "I'm sorry, but you should probably keep your distance. I'm in a mean mood, and I don't want to take it out on you."
- "Right now is not a good time (catchphrase)."
- "Oooh... I'm so sad (catchphrase)."
- "(Player). Have you ever eaten something that makes your stomach feels queasy? Well haven't actually eaten anything. I think I'm just sad."
- "Augh! I have nothing to say right now!"
- "What do you want? You want to talk? Because now is NOT a good time, you got that (catchphrase)?"
- "Excuse me. Now's not a good time, (catchphrase)!"
- "I really don't feel like talking right now. Nothing personal, (catchphrase)."
- "I'm sorry... I'm not really in the mood to talk right now. I just want to be alone..."
- "Shut up! You don't know me!! Don't try to judge me!!"
- "(Player's name), you are such a complete and total loser, (catchphrase)!"
- "OOOHH! You... You make me soooo MAD!!"
- "You are such an idiot! Just stop breathing my air and go AWAY!!"
- "What's with you!! Get away from me!! You smell!!"
- "I'm sorry, but I have an awful lot on my mind... I'm afraid I'm feeling rather blue..."
- "Gosh! I feel so irritated! It felt like a million mosquitoes just bit me! I know what your problem is?! You're so stuffy! You're like my grandma's basement!"
- "Ugh! Get away from me! You're a real jerk! I don't want people thinking we're together!"
- "Like I said, I can't stand looking at your face right now!"
- "Aw... Why did I have to be the star of this tragedy?"
- "ARGH! What is WRONG with everyone in this town?"
- "I've had ENOUGH! Just leave me alone!"
- "Eeek! Whacking me with a net is so not IN right now, (catchphrase)!"
- "You pull something like THAT off, then try to sweet-talk me? I won't forget this, (catchphrase)."
- "Hey! Just leave it ALONE, (catchphrase)!"
- In Wild World the first emotion the player would always get upon meeting Dr. Shrunk was shyness.
- When City Folk came out the emotion called shyness was renamed to bashfulness.
- In New Leaf shyness and bashfulness are two different emotions.
- Because the emotion sneezing was not available until New Leaf, past games compensated by using the emotion that looked the most like a sneeze, being anger, and the "Achoo" vocalization simultaneously to make it sound like one.
- Realization was changed to surprise in New Leaf.
- Once learning all of the Jokes from Dr. Shrunk, the player's last learned emotion will be the Shrunk Funk Shuffle, and at the end of his performance, the player will receive his old uniform towards the end. The player will say: "Ha! I've filled all the pages of my joke book. Now I'm a certifiable emotion comedian at last!"
- Some characters such as Luna or Gracie will sometimes smile, and use certain emotions like flourish and pride sparingly.
- In Happy Home Designer, a glitch can be enacted where if a NPC performs the delight emotion twice in a row with no gaps in between, their mouth will be stuck open until they play another emotion or the player leaves the area.
- If you stand by a villager and use a Reaction/Emotion in New Horizons or New Leaf, villagers will either imitate that reaction or react to it. For example, if the player claps near a villager, they may either clap back or use the bashful reaction in return.