It is often considered as a constant annoyance to those who seek more valuable fish and mistake it for the only slightly larger blue marlin or coelacanth, a point that is referenced even in the player's text in several games. In Wild World, it is the same size as the coelacanth, and it is impossible to separate on shadow alone.
Donation to the museum
In Animal Crossing
"Even run-of-the-mill, common fish are valuable resources, you see. All part of the grand tapestry, wot! We will take excellent care of this fellow, oh yes. You can rest assured. Excellent care, indeed."
In Wild World
"The sea bass is a fleshy white fish with a rather delicate flavor, eh wot? It's tasty prepared any which way, but I recommend a non-traditional dish...Sashimi! Indeed, consume the fellow raw! You shan't be disappointed!"
In City Folk
"...Ah, hoo, the sea bass. In some parts of the world, these fish have a different name as juveniles. They change names once they mature, eh wot? What's more, these names can differ from region to region... It's almost as if the sea bass is some sort of secret agent, eh wot?'""
The sea bass will appear in the ocean fish tank located at the back of the aquarium section of the museum.
In New Leaf
In New Leaf an information board in the aquarium will list information about this fish.
"Sea bass are famous for their delicious white meat as well as their large size. If they ingest something inedible, they open up their mouths and gills and violently shake their heads. This generally manages to expel the foreign material, though it has the added effect of looking rather odd. Much like their freshwater cousins, sea bass have a strong pull, making them a great challenge for anglers."
In New Horizons
"Sea bass is a name given to a variety of different species of saltwater fish. They are a varied bunch with some as small as four inches and some as staggeringly ginormous as eight feet! 'Sea bass' is a bit pedestrian though. Many species have better names, such as 'redbanded perch.' Or the delightfully whimsical dusky grouper! Or the potato cod! WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE PINK MAOMAO?!"
When given to Chip he says:
"Whoa there! This is no bass! Well, OK, technically, it is a bass. But...not the right kind of bass at all! And I hate to tell you, but we're only accepting ONE type of bass in this tourney. I WOULD take a dish of miso-glazed sea bass if you had that handy. Yup! Nyuuuk nyuk nyuk nyuk! So, do you think I could, you know, possibly, maybe just keep this? Huh?"
- "I caught a sea bass! See? Bass! (Why do I keep saying things like that?)" —Animal Crossing (GCN)
- "I caught a sea bass! Not again!" —Wild World
- "I caught a sea bass! Not you again!" —City Folk
- "I caught a sea bass! See? A bass!" —New Leaf (Only appears upon first catch)
- "I caught a sea bass! What?! You again?!" —New Leaf (Every time after first catch)
- "I caught a sea bass! No, wait- it's at least a C+!" —New Horizons
| "They put up a fight, but it's worth it."|
- Main article: Japanese sea bass on Wikipedia
The Japanese sea bass (Lateolabrax japonicus), also called the Japanese sea perch, and known as Suzuki (スズキ) in Japanese, is a common fish of estuaries and coastlines. They have different names depending on their age: they are called Seigo (鮬) when they are under 30 cm, and when around 60 cm they are alternatively termed Fukko or Suzuki.
- In New Leaf, the sea bass seems to be the only fish to have more than one capture quote.
- In City Folk, there is a trick to determining whether the player is looking at a sea bass or a coelacanth: the sea bass shadow is fatter up front, whereas the coelacanth shadow is longer and more uniform overall.
In other languages