- This article is about a personality. For the anteater villager, see Snooty (villager).
|The title of this article is conjectural. An official name for the article's subject has not been found.|
Snooty villagers (オトナ Otona, or あたし Atashi) (sometimes called Snobby) are female characters in the Animal Crossing series. They are called snooty villagers because they act more mature and higher-class than other villagers. They are usually portrayed wearing makeup and high-end clothes that match their style, and their homes appear luxurious, though there are some exceptions. As of New Horizons, there are 67 snooty villagers. Sylvia and Ursala originally both had snooty personalities, but both their personalities were changed to sisterly starting from New Leaf.
Snooty villagers are well-spoken and sometimes appear offensive and rude towards other villagers, including the player. They are self-centered, hot-tempered, and sarcastic, but if the player talks to them often, they open up and become more kind, sometimes giving the player lessons in fashion. However, this doesn't prevent them from making the occasional scathing comment. Snooty villagers usually have exotic or upper-class names, or names relating to high-value items and gemstones, making them easy to distinguish when talking to villagers around town.
Snooty villagers go to sleep at 3:00 AM in the original Animal Crossing and wake up at 9:00 AM. In Wild World and City Folk, they go to sleep at 3:30 AM, and wake up at 9:00 AM. In New Leaf, they wake up at 9:30 AM and sleep at 2:00 AM. In New Horizons, they sleep at 2:30 AM and wake up at 8:30 AM. Like the peppy and normal villagers, they read "Ms. Nintendique" frequently, coming out with quotations from the magazine such as what their lucky item of the day is, or saying that they bought so much blush that the magazine gave them an item, which they then give to the player. They will often talk about Gracie and how much they love her clothing. They also frequently talk about the unseen magazine, Chic (villager species) Monthly.
Snooty villagers are considered the female equivalent of cranky and smug villagers, due to their more mature and somewhat rude attitudes, as well as their general confusion on some other villager's lifestyles and also like gossiping and have a very keen sense of fashion like smug villagers do.
They will find it difficult to socialize with most villagers, who have conflicting lifestyles to their own. They do not understand how lazy villagers can relax and not worry about their physical appearance. They also cannot fathom how jock villagers exercise or talk about exercising seemingly constantly and not worry about fashion; a jock villager's comment on the snooty villager's fitness will anger them. Peppy villagers sometimes, without knowing, let their ideas come out; for example, a peppy villager may say "You know you're always rude...", leading the snooty villager to leave the conversation annoyed. Sisterly villagers likely won't get along with them, due to snooty villagers' tendency to talk about them behind their backs. They get along with cranky villagers, who share their maturity and viewpoints on life, smug villagers, due to their similar interests in fashion, and normal villagers, due to their generally sweet attitude towards others.
In City Folk, when the player talks to snooty villagers in the city, they will sometimes do the irritation emote before saying anything to them.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by snooty villagers.
- Oh hey! I've been hearing people talk about you. They're saying you don't speak politely. Really, being polite is the easiest thing in the world. Just say "please" a lot. As in, "please share your <dessert> with me, or else!" Or, "please don't spread rumors about me, or else!" Got it, <catchphrase>?"
- Stop shouting! I'm right here, I can hear you fine, <catchphrase>!
- Oh, <player>, you're priceless, you know that? You're like a peppy little bag of fun, <catchphrase>!
- <player>, you do talk a lot, you know that, <catchphrase>?
- You filthy ogre! I hope you get stung by a thousand bees!
- NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE! I'm saying, that's a nice <furniture> you've got there.
- Is that how you get your kicks, <catchphrase>?!
- <Lazy Villager name>, I hear you've been eating a lot of diet <dessert> lately?
- I don't want to live in a world where I have to eat sugar-free cookies...
- Ooooooh, I got tricked! <catchphrase>! You should NEVER trust Redd!
- (if met in a dream) My memories are a little fuzzy. I've got to keep reminding myself. I'm a <species> named <name>...I'm a <species> named <name>!
- "Now, what does Chic <species> Monthly say about televisions and interior decorating? Well whatever, I think your <TV> casts a happy glow in your home."
- When at Jock Villagers house: "Well hello, <player>. Here to visit <jock villager> as well? How interesting!
- When at Jock Villagers house: "I think <jock villager> is just thrilled to be hosting this get-together like this. I mean let's face it... the classiest party guests in (town) are here. You and me!"
- So I'd really like to give you a/an <item>, <player>. You can also thank <villager> since I'm regifting a gift he gave me. Wait, don't actually thank him!
- When at Jock Villagers house:"Should we peek inside <jock villager's> <storage>? It's probably packed to the ceiling with back issues of Muscles and Hot Yoga Monthly."
- Islander/villager when wearing sporty clothing "I love people wearing activewear, but running marathons myself, that would be silly"
Below is only relevant to Wild World.
Snooty villagers will ask you the following question to trigger their portrait-giving sequence:
- "This may sound sudden to but... You do have siblings right?"
Responses will be:
- "Why do you ask?"
- "I don't know."
By choosing "I don't know", and after a tirade about being mysterious, she will reply by saying:
- "What would you say if I gave this to you? This is very rare."
The following is a list of villagers who have the snooty personality in their latest installments of the Animal Crossing series games.
- The Japanese word "atashi" is a shortened form of "watashi" that is considered cute, effeminate, and informal.
- In Wild World, they're implied to be somewhere from 23 to 27 years old, assuming they're telling the truth; they will occasionally ask the player to guess their age using a slider ranging from "20" to "30", and will get angry if either extreme is chosen. This would put their birth year sometime between 1977 and 1983 if the series wasn't using a floating timeline.
- In New Leaf, snooty villagers have the lowest pitched voice of the female personalities.
- In New Leaf on the villager's birthday, upon handing them a present, the villager may say "Aww, you shouldn't have! No wait, strike that. Reverse it. I'm glad you did." This is a quote/catchphrase from Gene Wilder's character in the 1971 film, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
- In New Leaf, if the player is a female, snooty villagers are harder to anger when hit with a net.
- Luna and Saharah have the voice of a snooty villager.
- In dream towns, they may know the player's name even if they don't live in their town.
- Snooty villagers often are very fashionable, as they talk about fashion and judge the player's clothes.
In other languages