|⬅ #11 crawfish||#12 soft-shelled turtle||#13 snapping turtle ➡|
- "I caught a soft-shelled turtle! I can really shell it out!" —New Leaf
The soft-shelled turtle is a new "fish" introduced in New Leaf. It is caught in the river, despite being in between the holding pond fish in the Critterpedia. It is only found in August and September, having the smallest month range other than single-month fish like the salmon and king salmon.
Donation to the museum
In New Leaf
In New Leaf, an information board in the aquarium will list information about this fish.
"These relatives of common turtles will not let go when they decide to bite down on something. Although they can be quite shy, they will become a bit aggressive when threatened. They are often found in water and are very good swimmers because of the flat shape of their shells. They swim with their snouts over the surface of the water so they can breathe. Soft-shelled turtles aren't safe to hold because they are so prone to biting at the slightest movement. However, if one bites down on you, it will usually let go when you put it safely back in the water."
In New Horizons
Upon donation or selecting "tell me about this!", Blathers the curator will say:
"The soft-shelled turtle is not one to shy away from biting when provoked. In addition to its powerful bite, this little critter has the ability to breathe both above and below water! It has an unusually long neck which it uses for both breathing and biting. Come to think of it, how did you manage to avoid being bitten? Well, it's a fearsome critter, but just look at that face! Rather silly, wot?
- "I caught a soft-shelled turtle! I can really shell it out!" —New Leaf (NTSC)
- "I caught a soft-shelled turtle! I really shelled it out!" —New Leaf (PAL)
- "I caught a soft shelled-turtle! Don't suffer shell shock!" —New Leaf (While the moon is out)
- "I caught a soft-shelled turtle! It's more sensitive than other turtles." —New Horizons
- "I caught a soft-shelled turtle! I should take a shellfie!" —New Horizons
「スッポンを 釣り上げた！ スッポンポン！」 —New Leaf
「スッポンを 釣り上げた！ 月と スッポン！」 —New Leaf
Further informationThis turtle has found its way into many lakes and rivers around the world. Native to brackish water (water that is freshwater but salty), the species has done surprisingly well throughout a diverse array of other habitats. Due to the introduction of this species in many parts of Asia, it has become a considerable food source. It is a nocturnal feeder that attacks and eats fish, crustaceans, insects and molluscs. It is similar to the Northern Softshell Turtle which inhabits mainland Asia.
- The soft-shelled turtle is one of the only "fish" to display a different capture message when caught while the moon is out in New Leaf.
In other languages