Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a fighting game on the Nintendo Wii that incorporates many icons of the gaming world, especially those that belong to Nintendo. As of September 2008 over 7.4 million copies of the game had been sold world-wide. Animal Crossing series features repeatedly in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Gameplay is far slower than it's predecessor. Unfortunately, no Animal Crossing characters are playable, but Resetti makes an appearance as an assist trophy: the pitfall also appears as a useful item: a stage based on a Wild World town is a selectable fighting stage: and many trophies, stickers, and songs are from the series.
Animal Crossing series in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Animal Crossing features in Brawl, but not as much as some other franchises.
Stages are where all the action takes place in Brawl. Players fight each other on them with the use of items, assist trophies and various strategic elements that are unique to each stage. The Animal Crossing stage, Smashville, is set hovering over an Animal Crossing town, complete with various features of a Wild World town. The time of day the fight takes place in is reflected by the Wii's internal clock, meaning that the sky will be blue at noon, orange in the evening, and starry at night. Some Animal Crossing characters feature as spectators, watching the fight take place. Notable spectators include Brewster with a coffee bar, Gracie with her car, and Blathers, who is always asleep during the day. K.K. Slider also makes an appearance to play a number of his songs every Saturday after 8:00 PM, drawing the attention of the spectators. Sometimes Lyle can be seen at Brewster's bar in a tan suit next to a female human. A small, red balloon will sometimes fly across the stage carrying a piece of food, releasing the food when popped, like in the Animal Crossing series, except replace the food with presents.
Items can be thrown, fired, worn, and wielded to add variety to gameplay. The only Animal Crossing item to appear in the game is the Pitfall trap, which, when thrown, disappears into the ground and captures any unsuspecting enemies that fall into it and, when tossed at an enemy in mid-air or on a pass-through platform, causes them to fall immediately towards the ground.
Trophies and Stickers
Trophies and Stickers can be collected throughout the game by completing certain tasks or reaching milestones in the gameplay. There are many Animal Crossing trophies, one for every non-playable character (not including villagers), and stickers for a number of characters popular to the public, such as Rosie and K.K. Slider.
- Animal Crossing Boy
- Sable and Mabel
- Tom Nook
- Blathers and Celeste
- Pelly and Phyllis
- Dr. Shrunk
- Copper and Booker
- K.K. Slider - Earned by collecting all songs in the game.
- Crazy Redd
- Tommy and Timmy Nook
- Katie and Kaitlin
- Mr. Resetti and Mr. Resetti Feet
As already mentioned, K.K. Slider performs various tracks to the audience of Smashville, but there are other songs that play on the Smashville stage when he is not present, all from Animal Crossing. These include:
- The Roost - A soothing rendition from the café in the museum basement.
- Town Hall and Tom Nook's Store - An upbeat medley of two tunes. The Tom Nook verse is based on the Nook's Cranny theme
- Animal Crossing Title - The Wild World title screen song with the addition of various Animal Crossing songs and noises added. It is the "true" theme of the stage.
- 2 AM - K.K.'s rendition of the 2 A.M song in Wild World, which was originally a lullaby-style song.
- Go K.K. Rider! - A popular K.K. Slider song, orchestrated and containing motorbike revs, making it sound like a real racetrack.
- K.K. Cruisin' - A song that only plays when K.K. Slider gets there.
- K.K. Condor - A song that only plays when K.K. Slider gets there.
- K.K. Western - A song that only plays when K.K. Slider gets there.
- K.K. Gumbo - A song that only plays when K.K. Slider gets there.
- Rockin' K.K. - A song that only plays when K.K. Slider gets there.
- DJ K.K. - A song that only plays when K.K. Slider gets there.
An assist trophy is an object that can be used while fighting to release a character from a game to help whoever summoned it, and is usually unable to get killed by basic means. Mr. Resetti appears randomly as an assistant to represent the Animal Crossing series. Upon being released, he appears from the ground, shouting out insults and mocking the contestants. His speech gets in the way of the screen and cannot be moved until Resetti leaves. Sometimes, when on a moving stage, Resetti is left behind, shouting as he moves off the screen, or he will disappear if the platform he's on is destroyed. Sometimes when he's attacked, Resetti will cause a small explosion which damages nearby fighters. He also reacts to things occurring on the stage at the same time.
- In Animal Crossing, towns can only have eight letters. Smashville has ten, which means it cannot be used as an actual town name.
- Smashville is based upon Wild World.
|The Animal Crossing Series|