|⬅ #28 giant cicada||#29 walker cicada||#30 evening cicada ➡|
- "I caught a walker cicada! It must hate getting its feet wet!" —New Horizons
The walker cicada (ツクツクボウシ, Tsukutsuku-boushi?) is an uncommon bug found in the Animal Crossing series. It is often noticed from its churring call that slowly fades out after several phrases have been repeated.
Donation to the museum
In Animal Crossing
Upon donation, Blathers the curator will say:
"Cicadas. What can one say about these odd insects? They are certainly...noisy! Noisy enough, I should say! Their horrid caterwauling is awfully irritating, you know. About as musical as a train wreck, eh wot? I'm sure that the cicadas have quite valid reasons for such boisterous behavior, but I dare say there are limits. And they have those membranes on their abdomens, which vibrate to create those disturbing tones...Odius."
In Wild World
"Depending on where you are in the world, the cry of the walker cicada changes. Who do they think they are? Using dialects and whatnot! I mean, really!"
In City Folk
"Apparently, walker cicadas cry out in an attempt to obscure the calls of other, similar cicadas. I should think that to the average fellow, it just sounds like the cicadas are merely singing together. In any case, I don't suggest looking for them. Their voices may fascinate, but their faces nauseate!"
It can be found in the middle terrace on the tree directly in front of the ramp down to the first terrace, in front of the tree stump.
In New Leaf
In New Leaf an information board in the bug exhibit will list information about this bug.
"Walker cicadas have a unique crying sound that gives the impression they're all singing in harmony. They usually start crying late in the summer, so people can associate their sound with summer's end. This call is so related with summer in general, TV shows regularly use this cicada to indicate the season."
In New Horizons
In New Horizons, upon donation or selecting "Tell me about this!", Blathers the curator will say (with abhorrence):
"The walker cicada is quite the noisy thing. I tell you, this impolite pest simply canNOT abide the quiet. In the heat of summer, the male strikes up a strange rattling song, hoping to woo a mate. When other male crickets hear this rhythmic racket, they join right in... As if it were a sing-along! My head aches at the thought of it."
- "I caught a walker cicada! If he'd'a been runnin', I might not have caught him!" —Animal Crossing
- "ツクツクボウシを 捕まえた！なき声と、おんなじ名前!!" —Animal Forest
- "I caught a walker cicada! He chirps funny!" —Wild World
- "I caught a walker cicada! Quite the walker AND the talker!" —City Folk
- "I caught a walker cicada! Walkin' in the rain, it seems!" —New Leaf
- "I caught a walker cicada! I'm the one walkin' the walk now!" —New Leaf (Alternate)
- "I caught a walker cicada! Pffft. I walk all the time and no one calls me "Walker (players name)"." —New Horizons
- "I caught a walker cicada! It must hate getting its feet wet." —New Horizons (Alternate)
| "Their cry signals that the end of summer is near."|
In Japan this particular cicada is known as Tsukutsuku-boushi, a reference to how Japanese people interpreted its song. The word also refers to the reflection of rainbows. This species is known for its variable calls which differ depending on the elevation and habitat. The population is thought to be in decline. Notably, it is actually called the "walker's cicada," rather than "walker," as shown in-game.
In other languages