Winter Solstice is a Winter event introduced in New Leaf. It occurs on December 21st in the northern hemisphere and is known as the shortest day of the year. The sun never rises and the weather is very cold, meaning it will stay dark out all day. This phenomenon is known as the Polar Night. The weather will stay normal on Tortimer Island. If the player talks to Isabelle on this day, they will receive a blue Glow Wand.
In New Leaf
The Winter Solstice is the time of year in New Leaf where the sun doesn't rise at all. There is not even twilight, and it stays mostly dark all day, with the exception of clear skies all day and the stars in the sky. The Aurora also appears during the night and fades at 10PM. Even though it's dark all day, the moon doesn't rise until evening.
In New Horizons
In New Horizons, the Winter Solstice of the southern hemisphere is celebrated by Nook Shopping offering a limited-time commemorative item for sale from June 6 to July 6, the winter-solstice sweater. The item's llama pattern implies the event may be specifically highlighting Inti Raymi, which is celebrated by indigenous cultures in the Andes region of South America.
- Isabelle wears a plum coat item.
- Even though it is night all day until the next 6 AM, Blathers and Celeste will still be sleeping in day time.
- During this event, the sun will stay below the horizon for 36 hours.
- In the real world, polar nights occur on Earth when the sun stays down for 24 hours. This only happens to places in the Arctic Circle which is 66 degrees, 33',44". The opposite of it is midnight sun. Murmansk in Russia Experiences this for 40 days.
- In New Leaf, this occurs on Blanche’s birthday.